The communication method I chose was video. The reason I chose this is because it communicates my idea of parallel worlds idea so well and if I did something like radio it just would not fit. At all but however a print would have worked but its just not the way I wanted to tackle the project as it just has stills and word’s, when I like to speak with motion and emotions I think that is the main reason why I didn’t use anything else than video and rejected all other communication methods.
Location- the location I picked for my project is Kennington this is generally because its my home area which means I wont have to travel at all. I’ve picked two spots in my local area one being my house the other being the local memorial park.
This is the memorial park as you can see it is fairly small and there is a road around it so problems I could face is ambient noise. However it isn’t a busy road so I should be able to get a clear shot.
Clothing- the clothing is quite simple seeing as there is going to be two different people who is the same person there going to have to have two different costumes being only slight changes like different hats and different jumpers. just to show that there personality’s are different which actually links to my location because the two personality’s one wakes up in a bed the other wakes up on a bean bag showing ones more of a party animal and the other is more of a straight edge dose nothing all day lives a normal life follows all the rules never dose anything bad.
Equipment- the equipment I will use is a Nikon d5200 as this is my camera so it is easily accessible the sound will be recorded on a zoom as this can be borrowed from the department as well as the tripod I’m using so all the equipment is easy to get and wont cost any money.
From comparing my video to my research I can see that the research has paid off quite well except from a few things like ambient noise. The ambient noise was too strong and it ended up that I couldn’t use the sound recording I had recorded, and had to use the audio from the camera which wasn’t as high quality as the audio from the zoom if the ambient sound was less.
Monday- I was in college helping Nicole by acting in her production it took half the day I also checked if my equipment was ready to pick up for Wednesday.
Tuesday- I was supposed to be helping Nicole reshoot some shots for her production but she messaged me saying she was sick. So I filmed my first few shots at my house the bed scene and the grabbing of the hat.
Wednesday- came in to reshoot with Nicole which took about half the day I then went to collect the rest of the equipment to start filming. The previous shots were filmed using my friends tripod I then went home and my friend came round to film the two inside shots before he went to work.
Thursday- I had to work so had no time to do any of my production.
Friday-I went tot take my shots but unfortunately the lighting was way too dull and the footage I had taken was not what I wanted so we went to reshoot the next day.
Saturday I retook all the outside shots made sure they were perfect for what I needed then I had finished all I needed to do was edit the production.
Cameraman Henry: “first time filming was fun found it hard at first but slowly got the hang of it.” Henry performed very well however some flaws were that he had quite shaky footage when he wasn’t using the tripod.
Soundman Bob : “I didn’t quite know what I was doing but once it was explained I was okay.” Bob performed as asked unfortunately for him the audio had too much ambient noise.
Critical Perspective Report.
My main focus was on narrative how I was telling the story of the two worlds colliding together and how I could get it perfect. At first I was focusing too much on the two character’s being In sync and I think that was my initial problem, as the two character’s couldn’t be in sync unless I filmed for a very long time which I di not have. Once I had realised this it became a lot more easier to film. The scene at the shelter was the most significant scene linked to my narrative as it is the scene when the two characters cross paths. I think it was also the hardest scene to edit as I had to use a split screen effect and when it came to colour balance it was very hard to match up as the colour kept changing due to shadows but in the end it was okay.
My other focus was on semiology because I didn’t want anything to distract the audience from the message that I’m trying to push forward. That is why I kept the production clean and plain so all the focus was on the characters and what there doing not what the surroundings were doing.
When I initially heard of the project I instantly was hooked to this idea of sync and even though I was told it may be quite hard it was what I wanted to do and I was not changing my idea.
As I said previously I did have problems with time as I wanted to make my project so perfect and in sync I wasn’t focusing enough on dead lines however I di get the footage I wanted in the end and everything was good it just wasn’t in sync or perfect like I wanted it to be another factor was money I didn’t have any budget to buy specialist equipment and had to borrow it which worked but I could have made the production much longer and much better if I had budget to rent higher quality equipment.
- editing work
- camera work
I think these three things went well as they were my key focus in the production all the way threw, I was concentrating on how I was going to deliver the narrative and how I was going to do the editing on the final scene and it all turned out ok.
- colour correction
I think these two went bad because it was very hard to get the colour correction perfect and I think id need a lot more experience to balance it, and the sound there was just simply too much ambient noise.